Wednesday, November 17, 2010

50 Years of Listening

50 years.  That's how long The Support Network has been providing crisis support and/or community information to people in our community.  The agency has grown and morphed and taken on new projects along the way, but the foundation remains the same.

I have had the honor of being a part of this organization since September of 1997, starting as a volunteer on the Distress Line.  At the time I was looking for some experience and professional development.  I found much more than that.  Giving my time and energy in order to help others in their time of need was extremely rewarding.  In addition, the other staff and volunteers quickly became a second family to me.  A family that has been with me as I have grown up - personally and professionally.

My current role is Director, Client Services.  As a senior manager, I rarely have direct client contact these days, but my commitment to the agency and the work we do is grounded in my listening experiences.



I am extremely proud of all the staff and volunteers for all they do to ensure those in need have a listening ear, and have access to the supports they need.  I'm thankful that so many people have learned how to cope, and have had the opportunity to find hope.  70, 000 people access our services on an annual basis.

If you are in the Edmonton area, I encourage you to keep 780-482-HELP (4357) and 211 top of mind.  You never know when you or someone you love may be faced with a challenging situation and need to access such supports.  If that time comes, be prepared.

If you are inclined to share some of your time or money, your donations are more than welcome to help us meet the needs of our community.

The Support Network: Here to Listen When Life Hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment